|This free picture collage created with Smilebox|
Today is ‘Write for rights’ day, organised by Amnesty International. I have just finished writing a letter on behalf of the Women of Zimbabwe Arise group who have been subjected to all kinds of harassment because they long for better social, economic and human rights in the future. They have been denied their fundamental human rights of freedom of expression and assembly when their peaceful demonstrations have been targetted by the authorities. They are just one of the 10 causes that Amnesty International is encouraging us to support by picking up a pen and handwriting a letter. This kind of action can make an important impact on how these cases are dealt with in the different countries.
- Afghan Women’s Network in Afghanistan.
- Jabbar Savalan in Azerbaijan.
- Manolis Kypreos in Greece.
- Filep Karma in Indonesia.
- Hakamada Iwao in Japan.
- Ines Fernandez Ortega & Valentina Rosendo Cantu in Mexico.
- Port Harcourt Waterfronts in Nigeria.
- Natalia Estemirova in the Russian Federation.
- Fatima Hussein Badi in Yemen.
- WOZA in Zimbabwe.
You can find out more information about the people and their causes here. So pick up your pen and a crisp new sheet of writing paper and make a difference to at least one cause from the list.
Thank you to all of you who have managed to read this far! Irene x.
Just writing some letters on behalf of Amnesty International. Details here.